In recent years, the Bengals, Browns, Cardinals, Jags, Lions, Raiders and Skins have dominated NFL news items involving ineptitude and outlandishness. A team that has been on the periphery of that septet has now seemed to demand entry into that “fraternity”; welcome to the NY Jets. Yesterday, they fired their GM and handed that job – on an interim basis to be sure – to their new head coach who arrives with a career record of 23-25 and whose experience as a GM is ZERO. As if that is not bad enough, consider:
- The GM they just fired is the guy who just hired this hugely successful coach
- The GM they just fired is the guy who signed up all the team’s free agents for the 2019 season.
- The GM they just fired is the guy who organized and ran the NFL Draft that just passed.
If the GM was found to be embezzling team funds, I can understand this decision at this time. If there are allegations that he has been sexually abusing household pets, I can understand this decision at this time. Absent anything of those natures, this decision is ever so indicative of a franchise in disarray. Welcome to Disarray Island, NY Jets.
Earlier this week, there was a headline at CBSSports.com that read:
- Ten Storylines to Watch at the PGA Championship
As you might imagine, the examples here were nonsensically focused on Tiger Woods to the extent that the entire compilation read like an old David Letterman routine on “Ten Things…” This is NOT the CBSSports.com list; it is my impression of what the author there wanted to write – – but the editor demanded a slightly broader coverage:
- Will Tiger Woods Eat the Same Breakfasts at the PGA as He Did at the Masters?
- Did Tiger Woods Sleep Well Last Week?
- How Regular Has Tiger Woods Been – A Septic Tank Check-up.
- Does Anyone Dare Challenge Tiger Woods for This Championship?
- Notice That Tiger Woods Always Wears Matching Socks in Majors
- Will Adverse Weather Affect Tiger Woods at All?
- Is Tiger Woods’ Caddy the Smartest Caddy on The Course?
- Can Tiger Woods Go “Back-to-Back” in Majors? [On the golf course; not with waitresses. Get your mind out of the gutter…]
- Can Tiger Woods Fart His Way to Fame This Week – – and the most important story line form this weekend’s PGA Championship…
- Which is Closer to the Bethpage Clubhouse – a Perkins Pancake House or an IHOP?
Since I was speaking about a headline to an article at CBSSports.com just above, let me note here that all the way back in 2016, those same good folks reported that Caitlyn Jenner would pose nude for a Sports illustrated cover. I wish it were not so because the image evoked is significantly worse than disgusting – – but here is the link:
For anyone seeking a sign that the apocalypse is upon humankind, take that event and put it high up on your list of things to watch for…
Speaking of silly storylines and/or headlines, here is one from The Onion.
- Kyrie Irving Promises He Won’t Quit on Whatever Team He Signs with This Offseason
When you read the stories going around now that the NCAA is contemplating changing the 3-point line in men’s basketball from the current distance to the “international distance”, the best advice I can offer is the title of a former cable TV comedy show:
- Curb Your Enthusiasm
If my calculations are correct, the displacement of the 3-point line will be a grand total of 20 inches. A difference of 20 inches would be important if you were comparing:
- A home run that just cleared the left field wall in a baseball game
- A horse race involving a purse of $2M
- A 4th and 20 play in the Super Bowl that gained 19 yards and 16 inches
- Porn Star A versus Porn Star B.
With regard to men’s college basketball, this would be a cosmetic change and nothing more than that.
Finally, here is another golf comment from an author and golf champion of the past, Horace G. Hutchinson, since the PGA Championship will commence later today:
“If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is.”
But don’t get me wrong, I love sports………